Saturday, March 2, 2013

First Aid Kit

There are a billion types of first aid kits you can get for your 72 Hour Bag, they vary as much with size and weight as they do with the skill level you may have to put the gear into use. If you have the time it is of vital importance to take a CPR/First Aid class. It's important to be able to help someone when they become injured but you may have to be the one who fixes yourself and knowing what to do will help keep you calm and stave off possible shock. During the Falkland Island war they found the better trained a soldier was the better chance they had of surviving injuries and not going into shock. Ordinary soldiers were dying with only minor wounds because they slipped into shock while soldiers who were trained at higher levels were surviving head and chest wounds and not going into shock. Remember it's of vital importance to stay at 98.6, once this has been comprimised the clock begins to tick and it's hard to stop the clock after that.

Here's what I carry in my 72 Hour Bag:

I've done a lot of research into the different types of medical kits that are offered and I've found it's best to build your own, but this can be an incredibly daunting task especially if you aren't an EMT, Paramedic, Nurse or Physician. So what I've come up with is the Adventure Medical Kit .7 in the water tight container. It has a good amount of items to be the foundation of a good kit and still has the room to add other things important to you. Only you will know what you're going to need immediately if you're away from home for 72 hours. Pretend you're packing for a three day get away and look at any medications you need on a daily basis. They should be in there. Are you allergic to bee stings? Do you need an Epi Pen? If so, get one and put it in this kit. I have added several tubes of single use Super Glue and some sutures. I have learned how to suture but it is doubtful I would ever try to suture a wound in the field unless it were the most austere conditions. Having said that I would Super Glue a wound closed. Contained in the .7 are the following: 3-Bandage, Butterfly Closure. 2- Dressing, Non-Adherent, Sterile, 3" x 4". 1-Bandage, Conforming Gauze, 2". 5-Bandage, Adhesive, Fabric, 1" x 3". 2-Dressing, Gauze, Sterile, 2" x 2", Pkg./2. 3-Bandage, Adhesive, Fabric, Knuckle. 2-Dressing, Gauze, Sterile, 3" x 3", Pkg./2. 1-Gloves, Nitrile (Pair), Hand Wipe. 1-Moleskin, Pre-Cut & Shaped (11 pieces). 1-Duct Tape, 2" x 26". 1-Bandage, Elastic with Velcro, 2". 3-Safety Pins. 1-Splinter Picker/Tick Remover Forceps. 2-After Bite Wipe. 2-Antihistamine (Diphenhydramine 25 mg). 1-Aspirin (325 mg), Pkg./2. 3-Ibuprofen (200 mg), Pkg./2. 4-After Cuts & Scrapes Antiseptic Wipe. 3-Triple Antibiotic Ointment, Single Use. 3-Alcohol Swab. 1-Tape, 1" x 10 Yards. 1-Tincture of Benzoin Topical Adhesive.

In addition to the items listed above I have decked out my kit with additional items I have been trained to use and are only in the kit if the most austere conditions arise. I carry a tourniquet, and Asherton Chest Seal, decompression needle, H Bandage, Israeli Bandage, 4x4's, tape, gloves, celox and some other trinkets such as iodine tablets. 











Here's what I carry when I go running:


I carry in my running pack the Adventure Medical Kit .5 - I've added some things that are more geared towards trail running. I put steri-strips and butterfly bandages in the pouch as well as a tube of super glue. I beefed up the the band aids and I threw some Imodium tablets in there because the last thing you want is to be 20 miles away from home and have intestinal issues. The .5 comes with some good gear for the size of the pouch and its very light weight. It comes with the following: 2 - Bandage, Adhesive, Fabric, Knuckle, 1 - Bandage, Adhesive, Fabric, 2"x4". 10 - Bandage, Adhesive, Fabric, 1"x3". 2 - Dressing, Gauze, Sterile, 2"x2" (Pkg. 2). 2 - Butterfly Closure, 1- After Bite Medicated Wipe. 1 - Mini Howler Whistle. 6 - Antimicrobial Towelette.







Here's what I carry in my EDC:


My EDC (Every Day Carry) is the bag a I carry to work every day. Because of the nature of the Film Business we must take everything with us filling all our needs for that day of work. We often have layers of clothing and tools, but what most don't have is emergency equipment to bridge the gap between set and their cars at crew parking. Below is the Condor Tactical Gear Pocket, it's at LA Police Gear for $10.99. It's on closeout so act quickly. In this pouch I keep a ton of gear and the pouch fits neatly in the leg pocket of my cargo pants. I have a ton of gear stuffed into this pouch but here's a list of the medical items: celox, Leather Man Squirt P4, super glue, band aids, tampon, condom, steri strips, 4-0 & 2-0 nylon non absorbable sutures, back up meds. 

You may be wondering about the tampon and the condom, all I can tell you is there are many uses for them other than their obvious roles. I will do a post on these uses at a later date.  



2 comments:

  1. Yes, please expound on the condom and tampon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great list and I passed it on!

    ReplyDelete